Thursday, February 11, 2016

Scrap Fabric Heart Cards

These cute cards can be made with whatever color or print of fabric you desire, and you only need a little scrap, so don't throw away your little bits and bobs left over from your sewing projects!
The first thing to do is to make a pattern. Just draw your very best heart! I folded my paper in half and drew a half heart so that it would be symmetrical.
Next you should choose your fabric. When I originally began this project my intention was to make cards for Mother's Day and Father's Day, so I chose the floral fabric for the moms and the striped fabric for the dads. I only ever got the Mother's Day cards done, however. (Sorry dads!)
Pin your pattern to your fabric. It is helpful to double your fabric if you are making more than one card with the same fabric. 
I used pinking shears to cut my hearts to prevent fraying and add a little interest.
Once you've got all your hearts cut, it may be beneficial for you to press them. This way they will lay flat while you are gluing them to your cards.
For the next step you will need to gather together your cards (I just used some half-fold inkjet cards I had left over,) some white glue, an old paintbrush, and a dish or container that you don't mind if it gets ruined.
Put a big dallop of glue into your container and thin it just a little with water. You don't want it too watery, just thin enough to paint on with a paintbrush.
Lay out your cards, position your hearts and begin "painting" your glue on. It will soak through the fabric and stick the heart to the card.
I added some little buttons at the top of each heart to add a little depth and interest.
Finally I wrote the name of each card's recipient at the top.
Although I made mine for Mother's day, this would be a good Valentine's day project as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment