Thursday, October 1, 2015

Halloween Costume: Jelly Beans

So as one may have ascertained from some of my previous "Tales of My Childhood," my family didn't have a whole lot of money when I was growing up. What we lacked in monetary funds, though, my mom made up for in sheer ingenuity. Since there wasn't money to buy our Halloween costumes, she made them. That's just how it went. There was no option. This costume is one of my favorites, by far, because I'm sure we had these things in our house already. Yes, I went trick or treating as a bag of jelly beans. Yes, it's made out of a trash bag and water balloons. Yes, my mother is a genius. No, she was not worried about me suffocating and dying, because she kept me in her sight the entire time I was wearing it. Let's be smart, people.



First things first, take your bag and cut two leg holes in the bottom.
Have your child put his/her legs through the holes, and measure where the arms will be. You should also measure to see if the top of the bag needs to be trimmed down.
Blow up a whole bunch of small balloons.
Have your child wear their jelly bean bag, and fill with the balloons.
Once it is nice and full, tie knots in the bag over each shoulder so that it will stay up. The bag should not be tight around the neck, it should just sit on the shoulders.
Take a large black marker and write "Jelly Beans" on the front of the bag.


Here's my disclaimer for this one: Never allow young children to play with plastic bags, or place them over their heads. Do not leave child unattended while wearing this Halloween costume. Do not tape or tie anything around your child's neck, as this could create a hazardous condition. Failure to heed these warnings or follow instructions completely could lead to serious injury or death. Writer of this blog post accepts no responsibility for misuse or abuse of materials, leading to injury or death of a child. Parents must accept all responsibility for the safety and well-being of their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment