Thursday, May 26, 2016

Make It Yourself - Taco Seasoning

I've had this recipe for quite a while, although it is not mine. This one was written by Bill Echols and can be found on allrecipes. Please be sure to visit the original recipe and give it a 5-star rating! I looked it up one day when I discovered that I was out of taco seasoning. I had also discovered that I didn't want to drive into town to get more. Luckily enough, we always have a well stocked spice cabinet. Not only do I want to teach you how to make this delightful concoction, but how to use it as well!

Recipe:
1Tbsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper

Just combine your ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight container if you are saving it for later. I typically use the whole batch when I cook, but you could cut it in half if your family likes a milder taco meat.
So, to use this with ground beef (or turkey, if you desire,) brown the meat in a skillet, and drain if it is greasy. Add the seasoning (whole or half, whichever you prefer) and 3/4 c water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the water is gone.


Alternately you can use taco seasoning to make shredded chicken for tacos, quesadillas, or flautas. You can either simmer on the stove, or put it in your crock pot. Take 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts and place them in the bottom of a sauce pan or pot. Pour in enough chicken broth to cover almost completely. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. If you are using your crock pot, do the very same thing, but set to low and let it cook for 6-8 hours. I like to start it before I go to work so I can shred it when I get home. You can use frozen breasts or thawed, either way it should work out fine.

There you are! Happy taco-ing!


No comments:

Post a Comment