Thursday, January 1, 2015

How to Stay Warm in Winter: Baking!

Mom's Potatoes with Cheese on Top
Cornbread
One of the ways my family saved money while I was growing up was to keep our thermostat set fairly low. Saves on gas and electricity, so it makes sense. For a while all we had to keep our house warm was a wood-burning stove. On the days when the wood-burning stove or lowered thermostat just didn't seem to cut it, mom used the oven. Cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls, tomato soup cake, pot roast, home-made pot pies, lemon bars, broiled steaks, potatoes with cheese on top, brownies, chicken enchiladas, chocolate cheesecake, biscuits, cornbread. It was all delicious, cheap, filling, and left the house just a little bit warmer. Not to mention the smells, which were heavenly.
Cranberry Flavored Jell-o Cookies
This month I would like to share some of my favorite oven-related recipes with you, so you can keep your house warm as well!
Coffee Cake Muffins
There is one recipe that I have already shared, but I will update this posting with a link to all of the newly posted recipes as well, so that it will act as sort of an index to the recipes I share this month.

Mom's Potatoes with Cheese on Top
Cornbread
Jell-o Cookies
Coffee Cake Muffins
Mom's Tomato Soup Cake


No comments:

Post a Comment